I LOVE essential oils, because they work! When nothing else works, the oils work. Simple as that. And my kids love oils, because they know they work. They know that oils make boo-boos feel better, upset tummies stop hurting and get them over colds faster. Usually I apply oils topically but today I decided to try a little aromatherapy as a solution to a new issue we’ve been having. For several nights now Daniel has been waking up with nightmares that monsters and shadows are chasing him in his room. Today he even had the same nightmare during nap time. So I decided to chase away those monsters with a combination of aromatherapy and mom psychology. We made Monster Spray! and while we were at it we made a sachet for baby sister to sleep with too!
It’s easy, Here’s how we did it.
First you need a couple things.
For both projects:
For Monster Spray:
- A small spray bottle
- Optional: Monster stickers
For the Sachet:
- Small organza draw string bags (I got 8 at the dollar store for $1)
- cotton balls
- Optional: Stuffed animal -This one was given to me with a little zipper pocket in it’s back or you can open a hole in the back of your kids favorite stuffed animal and sew it back up after putting the sachet in.
Add water to your spray bottle:
Add a few drops of lavender oil to the bottle:
Put cap on and decorate with monster stickers. Or in this case dinosaur stickers since we didn’t have monster stickers:
And most importantly. Spray on the pillow before bed and (if your child is old enough) place the bottle somewhere they can use it incase of monster nightmares, like with a favorite stuffed animal:
For the sachet for little sister we attempted a video of our little guys creating it.
Here are the basic instructions:
- Stuff the organza bags with cotton balls (These could also be made with rice, or dried lavender flowers but I wanted something that was going to be safe if the bag accidentally got opened)
- Add a few drops of lavender oil.
- Close the bag up and insert in the back of a stuffed animal if using.
Miss Abigail approves (And her whole room smells great!)
These little sachets are great for placing in drawers or closets to make them smell great, too. And if you want to make a pretty gift for a friend use dried lavender flowers in the bag instead of the cotton balls.