Daniel, like all boys, is fascinated by fire trucks and there is a fire station just 1.5 miles from our house. We frequently see the firemen in our development and they always let Daniel see the trucks and give him a plastic fireman’s hat. We wanted to do something to thank them for their service but it had to be something Daniel could actually participate in. Standing in line at the grocery store last night I got a brainstorm. Why not make no-bake cookies? I hadn’t made no bake cookies since I was too little for my mom to trust me with the oven but now they are perfect for me to do with Daniel.
I settled on two no-bake cookies. There is some prep that requires a stove but once that is done little ones can help with the rolling, stirring , pouring, cutting, etc.
- 1 cup (60z) chocolate
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 3 cups pastel miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup nuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and coconut oil over low heat, stirring occasionally. Stir a small amount into the egg, then return all to pan. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Pour into a bowl; let cool for 15 minutes. Gently stir in marshmallows and nuts. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. On a sheet of waxed paper, shape half the dough into a log. Place coconut on another sheet of waxed paper. Gently roll log over coconut to coat sides. Wrap up tightly, twisting ends to seal. Repeat with other half of the dough.
- Freeze for 4 hours or overnight. Remove waxed paper. Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
No Bake Chocolate Cookie Balls
- 1 cup (6 oz) semisweet chocolate
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1-3/4 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth.
- In separate bowl combine the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla wafers, walnuts, orange juice and honey. Add the chocolate and blend well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; (if you have trouble getting the balls to hold together add a few more tablespoons of orange juice.) roll in additional confectioners’ sugar, colored sugars, jimmies or peppermint sugar. Store in an airtight container.
This recipe makes a ton of cookies but that is good when your little helper wants to eat as many as he rolls in the sugars. 🙂
I supplemented the no-bake cookies with some oatmeal cookies and fudge I made after Daniel was in bed and we had a nice little tray to take to the fire station.
The firemen were so nice and gracious to show Daniel around the fire station.
They turned the lights on the truck which was fascinating!
They showed him their gear inside the truck.
And they let him sit in the truck!
Thank you Delray Beach Fire Rescue for a wonderful time! And thank you to all of our service men and women for your service to our country and communities.