After trying three different recipes for bland and tasteless Pumpkin Zucchini Bread I decided to develop my own recipe. After several attempts, serving my husband slices of bread and asking “What else does this need?” I finally came up with this winner.
3 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon almond extract
12 oz pumpkin puree
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup butter melted
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon Lemon zest
1 cup chopped or ground walnuts, almonds, currants, raisins, coconut (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Canola cooking oil spray two bread loaf pans (or 5-6 mini pans).
- Mix eggs, sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and spices in a separate bowl.
- Stir dry ingredients into the first bowl containing the egg mixture.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Stir in nuts and other optionals, if you are using them.
- Divide the batter into the bread loaf pans.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Test bread with a knife or a toothpick to see if it is done. Insert the knife into the bread. If it doesn’t come out clean, bake for an additional 5 minutes and re-test.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let set for ten minutes.
- Remove the bread from the pan, and place on a wire rack to cool